19 January 2010

Parts Greater Than Their Whole

I'm in New Orleans right now but here are some Boston leftovers. Really liked that town. I stayed there longer than anywhere else on this trip apart from NYC, where I wasn't nearly as photographically active, and as a result, I feel like this is the most well-rounded collection of photos I've shot so far, covering not only the preppy college life in the city but also the more dour and blue collar outskirts.











I've noticed that a lot of my photographs (or at least the ones that I like) tend to have this very front-on linear perspective and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, I love the aesthetic it brings and think it comes across really well in these kind of photo-essays. But I'm also worried about the threat of becoming compositionally complacent. What do you reckon? I'd love to get some feedback on this.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that a lot of your photographs have that perspective. It just reflects the way you see and frame the world, and I think you should embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Rae ... although I have a gut feeling that my last two rolls (still undeveloped) are duds.

    ReplyDelete