02 January 2010

Caution: Long Rant

http://blog.art21.org/2009/12/31/top-10-of-2009-entertainers-who-moonlight-as-artists/

Okay, I just read this article and have to get a few things out of my system. I actually love the original Rocky and think that Stallone should've won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar for it; I do think he's a decent bloke; and I know that I'm completely judging this on a stereotyped perception of the guy. But I can't help but be irked that his paintings are selling in the $50k range. Almost as much as the fact that Shaq convinced one of my favourite artists, Chuck Close, to sell his soul and partake in his exhibition Size DOES Matter. Sigh.


With that said, I think that RZA's Victory or Death is a technically amazing painting slash overall awesome piece. And the sheer bizarreness of James Franco's essay on his soap opera performance art does make me laugh.


I'm kind of surprised that Kanye West isn't on this list. As much as I hate him with a passion he did go to art school (though he dropped out) and I remember being really impressed by a painting he did of a visualisation of how music appears in his head. I guess it's sort of like Gerard Way and his comic book work: his music and art are not at all up my alley (with Kanye this also extends to his personality and general existence as a person) but I can respect the fact that he studied illustration and actually interned at DC before he made it big.

No comments:

Post a Comment