03 February 2010

First Breath After Coma

I'm going to interrupt the chronological continuity of my little photographic timeline and post a little something about an opening that I had the pleasure of attending last week in Toronto. The Taxali 300 showcased over 300 illustrations and prints from the collection of artist Gary Taxali (below: getting a hug). A lot of cool stuff that was way out of my price range ($200-700 a pop for a postcard-sized print). But even if I did have that kind of dinero, I'd have been hard pressed to find something that wasn't already sold -- by the time I got there I reckon 70% of the work had been tabbed. Easy six figures for Gary; not bad at all for one night of schmoozing.








Most of the openings I've been to have been strictly small-time or school-related so it was nice to see how the other half lived. At one point someone asked me who I was shooting for, which is exactly one of those times that you wish you could lie faster/better. These things really are great for networking though. I'm sure he has absolutely no recollection of the event but I did get a quick two minutes in with Gary who was kind enough to humour this strange kid with some words of wisdom. That's something I definitely appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment