27 November 2010

The Pebble And The Magnet

Below is a piece that was (fairly) recently entered into a regional drawing prize. Working both on paper and in black and white was such a refreshing change of pace after all this painting. It reminds me that I originally entered art school with the intent of focusing on graphic illustration.


Beggars In The House Of Justice, 59.4 x 84.1 cm
Ink on Rives BFK
Illustrated October 2010

I recently completed my final semester with mixed feelings about the way the experience ended. In many ways, it was an abrupt regression after a a year and a half of progressive improvement, and I'm sufficiently discouraged by my final product that I don't want to post any images of those paintings.

Having made the immediate leap from art school to a full-time office job, I find myself increasingly distanced from my art-making practice. I am haunted by the words of a visiting artist whose primary advice was not to get bogged down in a "real job".

3 comments:

  1. You're too hard on yourself!! Your final project was amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Glass half full says: at least you have a job! ( but I understand your displeasure with being 'bogged down')
    Also although you are disappointed with your paintings Im sure your audience will not be, Post that art Gunadi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the beginning of a graphic novel illustration before the colorist and other people do their thing. Nice!

    ReplyDelete