20 December 2009

Hart in a Cage

Another Chelsea discovery: Sharon Lockhart.

I visited the Gladstone Gallery and walked in on her exhibition Lunch Break. While I really enjoyed her photographic work (mostly three-paneled series of lunchboxes opening up and revealing their contents; below) it was the video piece that took the cake for me.




I turned the corner into this installation room and was just engulfed by this hypnotic slow-motion video. It's a simple premise, really -- the camera moves down a shipyard hallway in a smooth single shot as the blue-collar workers eat their sandwiches and read their papers. But it's the inertia of the whole thing that's so captivating. You really feel every thousand pound footfall and bottom-of-the-sea movement as the industrial soundtrack fades in and out.



The gallery attendant actually kicked us out because I sat there until closing time. Probably a good thing, too, because I could've watched that thing all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment