31 July 2009

Inked Up

Phew. I've been working on this piece for about five days straight. It should've been an easy task but I kept spraying over and re-working the "tattoos" until I was happy with them all.


Stormhobo, 60 x 90 cm
Enamel and marker on particleboard
Painted July 2009

Simple premise, really. The props and pose are derived from a photo of a homeless Vietnam veteran while the quotes and adornments are taken from the helmets of American G.I.'s.

Here are some detail shots:






I was toying with the idea of a graffiti-on-graffiti deal and the stormtrooper provided a clean drawing template. I guess its also a commentary on the sad state of this day and age -- we are more likely to recognise a pop culture reference than to identify significant events in our own immediate history.

I can't say I'm above this either -- when I was a kid all I wanted was a lightsaber and Marty McFly's hoverboard from "Back to the Future II".

No comments:

Post a Comment